Sunday, January 26, 2014

Ice Climbing

Are you sure your okay taking Maggie? Just know she has a LOT of energy and loves to play. Don't get me wrong you will fall in love with her but she is kind of hard…this is what Chris says to his fellow intern as we leave Maggie for the night to go ice climbing the next day. She too, has a big golden doodle they were best buds playing all weekend. Both, shaggy hair and playful, Maggie has found a new best friend.

Waking up at 4:30 am was a little brutal. We met the group of ice climbers at 5:15am at UNO. There were about 6 of us, most were seniors and there was a graduate assistant and a "supervisor". Andrew the Graduate Assistant said that he wanted to stop by his mom's to grab his taxes and also grabbed some homemade cookies on the way out. We came back from the trip and stopped at Tasty Tacos where he met some of his high school buddies. Well, I know who planned this trip definitely Andrew because it seemed like the whole trip revolved around him, especially when some of us wanted to leave at three and he wanted to keep climbing until 5:30…

After driving 4 1/2 hours we made it to the Silo. I definitely didn't master the art of ice climbing, but Chris took it like a champ. He was climbing to the top like he has been doing it his whole life. He tried to explain to me it is all about technique. I guess I was using my arms too much when I should have been using my lower body. I got tired so fast with my arms shaking as I came down and could barely hang on to the ice picks. It was fun to at least attempt. The weather in Iowa was -10 in the sun and windy! Probably one of the coldest days I have ever experienced. We warmed up in the Ice hut with some rounds of hot cocoa. The people we went with you could tell they are high adrenaline junkies. Don't get me wrong I love to experience new things, but I also like a routine. These guys go rock climbing in Yosemite one weekend to skydiving the next. Also it made me feel a little more grown up than the seniors who sat in back of us, "Ya like #^*^* man, thats awesome. (&(^(&! Dude, really though we free falled!" This is what we listened to on the way up and the way back.

But as they say YOLO!

We went to pick up Maggie after getting back at 11:00 pm, You could tell Kristen was exhausted! How was she? Good, good! And then I asked her No, really how was she tell me the truth. She was really nice about it. Although, she didn't say how many accidents she had she seemed like she enjoyed Maggie.

Now we get to catch up from the weekend with some sleep! Yay!

Cameryn

Maggie's favorite spot








1 comment:

  1. WOW! That looks amazing and terrifying at the same time. How cool!!

    ReplyDelete