Sunday, August 26, 2018

Cyanotic Spell

It was just another typical tantrum of Bowen...but it was not. After fighting with Bowen to get him in his car seat after we went to The Ridge. He was not wanting to go back in his chair after going on the slide and the nearby playground. We finally managed to get him in and he was not taking it. Thrusting, arching, screaming, kicking we get him in. He took a deep breath and exhaled... and exhaled...and exhaled some more. He went from crying with loud screams to a cry that was silent. Scary silence as his face turned from red in anger to blue in hypoxia then an ash pale. His body was jerking violently and eyes rolling back of his head. Now I know what Aubrey had been talking about. When we were in Africa she said that Bowen had passed out and they had 911 dialed in their phone. He came back to it. All because Marcus had come home and Bowen was afraid he would take him away from Aubrey. As Bowen's eyes turned I ran back grabbed him from the car seat, and in the meantime happened to grab him violently and hit his head on the car frame leaving a big goose egg. I put three large blows in his mouth and face hoping the reflex would have him come back. It didn't.... I kept yelling Bowen Bowen. And his body went limp. Arms dangled. I can only imagine the feeling of a little boy drowning, I can not imagine how hard it would be to witness. Bowen came back a couple seconds later and pointed at the car. He then layed his head on my shoulder and started to whimper. Ah my heart, being a nurse I should have been more in a relaxed state of mind. Witnessing your own child something like this is my worst nightmare. My legs were like jello and I could only hold him and thankfully he came to. My mom on the other hand, was perfectly calm. She knew he would come to. Its called a Cyanotic Spell, I later learned. Sometimes when kids get very angry, frustrated, scared, or hurt they will hold there breath and then pass out. It can help to blow in their face but it doesn't work with every child. It scares me to death. Bowen has had episodes like this before but never passing out. It outgrows sometimes not until they are 5 or 6! I hope he is the exception but like the face blowing working probably not.
Chris is officially in our new place in Billings. He is really liking the crowd thing and loves the view from the Rim Rocks. He says the last person who worked there left him with a mess of patients but that's where Chris will learn. We are missing him especially Bowen but really he misses Moana a little more. The other morning he surprised me from his usual first word of the morning "baba", to "moana". uh. I thought, had he been dreaming of Moana?
One of my favorite things when I put Bowen down at night is sowng? He loves when I sing to him and gestures me to sit down in the chair. He is so sweet, when I stop singing he looks up from sucking his thumb, sowng? How can I resist?
Bowen especially likes to tell me he has owies. He points at his knees owies. His head.. owies.. arm.. owies. Mostly because he falls a lot. I had a big zit on my cheek and he pointed at my face owie? Yes, bowen thank you for pointing it out.
We had fun this week going to the planetarium with Ashley and being able to see them for at least a little bit before Bowen would run off to the next thing. We also went to the planetarium in SLC with Blake and his girlfriend. Oh young love, pretty soon they will be doing taxes and finding moving expenses and the best nanny for their child. Growing up comes with lots of responsibility. But also a lot of freedom too.
Chris has found a great doggie day care for Maggie while he has been at work. They even cut her ears which he says they don't normally do. He also found a great lunch place by his work and a gym close to our house which he has been taking advantage of with no kids and no wife. He even played video games until 1:30 in the morning with a guy he met from church. Oh the bachelor life. Just wait, we will rock your world yet again Chris.

Have a great week and we will too,

Love, Cameryn

No comments:

Post a Comment