Sunday, January 22, 2017

Bowen's First Week

Exactly why I don't believe in birth plans because it never goes as expected! After laboring for 20 hours, getting terbutaline, O2, and multiple turnings, they docs finally called it. I can just hear them in their station. "She's getting cut." After working in this specialty I knew I was getting cut. From the moment he started to have some variables I knew he had a cord around his neck. When I finally dilated to a 10 and his HR dropped to 74 for a few minutes the doctors said we can push in the OR. That never happened. They came in and rushed me out within seconds. And 5 mins later baby BOWEN was born! I looked at him and just had a feeling he needed to be called Bowen, he wasn't a Bennett. As much as I wanted the name Bennett. I definitely have sympathy for my patients who go through c/s especially a stat one like mine. I don't know why but I was so calm as they took me back I knew what was going on and what was going to happen. They were going to transfer me from my bed to the stretcher, clean my belly with chlorexadine for 30 seconds, put the bovie and scratch pad on, count the instruments, time out, and then testing...cut, skin, uterine, baby, placenta! I just remember all I wanted to do was hold someone's hand. I just kept reaching out. I held my nurses hand, even reached out for the anesthesiologist! Haha. Chris finally got there and after he got a good peek over the drape talking to the OB docs about the size needle he was amazed how big the needles they use on me. Finally he held my hand and I calmed down a little. Chris was whisked away and got to cut his cord and take pictures. After they stitched me up they asked if I wanted to bring the baby out to the room. I could not stop shaking. A mix between hormones and the side effects of the epidural. I was rolled into the room half dazed but so incredibly happy.
Recovery has been tough I won't lie. The day after I could hardly move and I was expected to breast feed and take care of this child while completely exhausted from both labor and the c/s. Never in my life have I been in so much pain and so incredibly happy at one time.
"A note to future self bring good food, a pillow, and a sleeping bag" - Chris. Hospital food is disgusting. I couldn't even eat the eggs! My last meal before my diet changing to clears.
My support team- mom and Chris were great while I was in labor. All I wanted was them to massage my lower left back. Right when a contraction was coming I couldn't even talk I would just point and they knew what to do. Also, women were not made to labor in bed! I loved the birthing ball.
Bowen is a week old! We made it a week as parents! It has been a three man team. But soon to be Chris and I holding down the fort.
Some memorable moments this week:
Bowen's first pediatrician visit was this week. While getting all registered Bowen was letting them rip! He peed and after changing him was making grunting sounds. Mom was holding him and he kept letting them loose an then eventual total blow out making it look like it wasn't him but the person holding him it was so funny.
Bowen has a cute little scowl, today I found him doing the blue steel with his scowl. I could not stop laughing.
Bowen went to the market this week and to our favorite Mexican restaurant. We also went on our first walk where he loves his car seat and stroller.
Bowen likes to be sang to and listen to the piano from his dad- mom doesn't have too much time to practice and play right now. School doesn't wait for a baby :( I have a test next week but hopefully it will go okay... :)
He goes through several outfits a day and we get to dress him in his cute little onesies. We did newborn pictures on his one week birthday and he was completely content in the basket. Amy would take a picture and the click would sound and he would look up and keep waking himself up.

Chris and I are completely smitten over this boy. Who knew you could give this much to love.

















No comments:

Post a Comment