Monday, October 3, 2016

ICU

I went to the floor expecting it to be a regular crazy day on Labor and Delivery. Instead I was told to go to the ICU to monitor a patient who had status asthmaticus "really bad asthma". The charge nurse actually called an ACT on this lady (which is like a code) she had really low sats and high HR and could barely get out the words: I can't breathe.
So I went to the ICU and monitored this patients baby while she was intubated. A MICU doctor came in and asked me how baby looked...I told him, honestly not so good. I had a feeling that something was going to happen..and guess what of course it did!! Because it's Barnes.
Baby and mom were in metabolic acidosis (really bad). The OB doctors came down to the ICU and said we are going to do a c-section. Everyone in the ICU was so into it, most had never seen anything like this. They asked me is that a baby carrier? Are those baby monitors?? ICU pregnant women, so sad but everyone wants to be in on the case and I was her NURSE! There were probably about 50 people there consisting of the ICU team, NICU team, Peds team, special care team, respiratory team, OB docs, and many more standby people watching.
The lady before she was intubated provided us a number of an Uncle Carlos. We called Uncle Carlos..not her Uncle.. but a neighbor who was able to contact her mother in Puerto Rico. This women was considered black out status, which means that basically she has identified her husband as if he were to come looking for her that we would not be able to tell him where she is. The husband tried to stab her and successfully did so while she was pregnant. I understand things get heated but stabbing really?? Did I mention this girl was 20 years old and has two kids but we had no idea who was watching the kids...and she just got major surgery and had her baby...
Baby did okay after, mom on the other hand did much worse. It was so sad, she had to go on echmo which basically breathes for you and is a last resort before death...
She is still in the ICU and this all happened a week ago.

Chris had an interview at USC which he surprisingly really liked! I got to do a girls night and went shopping and had dinner. I spent the day at my high school friends house who moved to Saint Louis a couple of weeks ago and are in STL for good! We watched conference together and ate rollercoasters. I would have made cinnamon rolls if Chris was here and kept the Smith tradition alive ;).

Now I have a test I am studying for in Pathophysiology!! Definitely the hardest class to date in my program. At least I am getting it done before BABY comes!!!

Love,

Cameryn

No comments:

Post a Comment