Sunday, July 27, 2014

First week of Clinicals!

5:20 wake up call! We carpooled to Christians Hospital 40 mins north. Most people say you need to be careful when driving up to this area because this is the area you hear on the news, last nights shooting…
We had our pre-round meeting for the nurses and went over all the medications and what our patient had etc. We worked on the oncology floor which was pretty hard. Everyone who was dying basically was on our floor. My patient was diagnosed with multiple myeloma and renal failure plus she got MRSA while in the hospital. Not a pretty sight. She was due for surgery when I learned she was NPO. I thought I was going to be so bored today! Not even administering meds? Boy was I wrong!
My professor/ nurse called the OR manager and asked if I could go down and watch the surgery. They said yes and I got in the get up and wore the surgical hair net and shoes plus the scrubs. I even managed to take a selfie in the locker rooms :) The OR was amazing! I loved the adrenaline rush. This was the first time I witnessed medicine physically working before my eyes. The anesthesiologist put her under and taped her eyes shut. They sliced her nose in half and got all the infectious MRSA out. I thought HOLY CRAP! While they suctioned out half liter of blood and sputum. I mentioned to the surgical team that she has an ulcer on her left leg. After this they started asking me all these questions, is she diabetic? Any allergies? They got me a stool so I could see the whole surgery. After they were done the surgeon said she looks like Muhammad Ali. Probably because of her nose…?
The next day of Clinicals was interesting to… I wasn't there when it happened but another nursing student went into the hospital room with a tech. He was looking straight at them but not blinking…A little creepy but it happens… So they bagged him up and told us students that we were able to go to the morgue. He was a tall fellow so as we were putting him in the morgue we tried to shut the door. "pop" close the door again "pop" close the door and hold it a few sec. "pop" The door would not shut!!! So Kyle our strong nurse had to push his legs so that they were bent. He was a little stiff because by this time he was dead several hours. The door shut and as I walked out I noticed the morgue was right next to the foods services. Why is this? I have no idea…Wasn't very hungry the rest of the day.

Had to post a picture of maggie 

Super Super excited



Selfie!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment