Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Lone Peak Mountain

So before we left to go back to Austin after visiting Utah my husband and I decided to climb Lone Peak. Now this is no particular easy hike. This is strenuous, back breaking, sweaty, inflammation hike. We got up bright and early at 6:00 a.m. You have to give me props because I don't usually wake up this early. We drove around for an hour trying to find the trail head. Finally at 8:15 we found it close to Draper. The first part of the hike is called Jacob's Ladder, but I like to call it the Gateway to Hell. It is a dirt path that goes up and up and up for about 3.5 miles. I wish I took pictures but that would only exhaust you from looking at it. The funny thing is, after we finished Jacob's Ladder than the "hike" to Lone Peak starts. We got swatted by branches, bitten by bugs, and finished my whole camel pack by the time I got to the peak. We took an hour detour crossing over big boulders before we realized the peak was in a different direction.
Here is me climbing over the boulders of death

It's all fun and games from here. Fortunately we packed a lunch but didn't want to eat it until we got to the Summit. Chris and I learned a new word "Cairn" yes that was our guide through the whole 9-10 hours of our hike. On our detour we ended up taking a different route and following the mile high club rock climbers. I thought I heard voices from above...now that makes sense, it wasn't just the dehydration getting to me.
Yes! I got to eat my turkey sandwich, taste a little like Heaven. 

Literally clinging to this rock, now I am definitely scared of heights!

Don't look down...

We would have made it around 4 hrs but our hour detour left us hanging... pun intended

So happy to be alive :)


No comments:

Post a Comment